Deciding to go through with admitting yourself to an addiction treatment center is one of the biggest steps you can take towards recovery. It means you’re ready to free yourself from the damage caused by your substance abuse disorder. However, it’s important to be careful in how you go about finding a rehab center suited to treating your specific issues. Picking the right treatment center could be critical in how successfully you navigate a life of recovery once you complete your program. Thus, finding the right help and rehab treatment is vital.
Figure Out What You Want to Achieve in Rehab
One of the keys to finding a rehab center that suits your needs means understanding your goals. That should help you narrow your list of facilities down to those who provide specialized treatments geared towards your issue. It’s important to remember that rehab centers offering the same services may use different treatment paths.
Look at the substances they specialize in treating. If you have a mental health issue, you’ll want to find facilities that provide treatment for dual diagnosis disorder. People who may need help removing toxins from their system during the rehab admission process should look to see if a treatment center offers detox services.
Another factor to consider is whether you want to participate in inpatient or outpatient treatment. Are you looking for a place that offers extended stays of up to six months? Will you require the flexibility of a partial hospitalization stay or outpatient treatment? Make sure your rehab center of choice can accommodate your needs.
Seek Advice From a Professional
It also helps to talk things through with a specialist while you’re working on finding a rehab center. They can help you eliminate options that would not be a good fit. With so many options available, having a professional opinion on the level of services offered by a facility can guide you in your decision-making process.
Some professionals may be able to offer viable suggestions on places that would help you work through your issues. However, you should still do follow-up research of your own before choosing which facility you will attend.
Be Thorough in Your Research in Finding a Rehab Center
Try to push beyond looking up web results when you are working at finding a rehab center. Talk to past patients and therapists who work at the facility. They could offer invaluable insight into the actual workings of the facility.
Consider the following factors when considering your options:
- Specialties — Make sure a treatment center provides program choices meant to help with your specific issue. If you have problems with alcohol, you want specialties focusing on working through those problems.
- Therapies — Does the idea of alternative therapy appeal to you? Or do you prefer sticking with more traditional treatments? Do your research on each treatment to see if it’s something you might want as part of your recovery program.
- Location — Consider how far you would have to travel to take part in various addiction treatment programs. Think about whether you would want your family to visit and possibly take part in family therapy.
- Post-Recovery Options — Many treatment programs help situate you after leaving a long-term treatment program. For example, it may locate a sobriety living situation, help you learn career skills, and point you toward 12-step and 12-step alternative programs nearby.
Understand How They Function
Another essential component to finding a rehab center is making sure you understand how each facility functions. Here are some important considerations as you work toward your final choice:
- How many physicians will oversee your care?
- Is there an addiction medicine specialist on staff?
- How does the facility handle patients who relapse?
- Under what circumstances are patients removed from a program?
Because it’s not just about finding the best rehab, but one that works best for you in helping you reach a place of healing and recovery.